Mike's Fish Curry 21.01.2009
This is a quick, basic, but highly nedicious curry that we have scribbled on a bit of paper in one of our cookbooks. Legend has it this recipe comes from Dr Mike, but who really knows…
- 1 tbspn vegetable oil (or similar)
- 1 brown onion, cut into wedges
- salt & pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5cm ginger, grated
- 10 curry leaves (optional but highly recommended)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400gm tomato, chopped
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1/3 cup (80mls) coconut milk
- 600gm fish (something firm – flathead, perch etc)
- 100gm baby spinach
Whack the oil into a wok, deep frying pan or other type of cooking item, add the onion and a pinch of salt and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
Add all the spices and cook for another few minutes.
Then add tomato, stock and coconut milk and simmer for around 15 minutes.
Finally, throw in the fish bits, and the baby spinach and do some more simmering for 2 minutes.
Serve with basmati rice and wedges of lime. Delicious!
Guaranteed to make you go:
There are items and then there are Items.